Saturday, January 12, 2008

I've not only pursued the American Dream, I have achieved it!


The real American Dream for a woman is BARGAINS! BARGAINS! BARGAINS! Or at least for this woman it is. If I was allowed a few hours of your time I would tell you exactly how I feel about the DI and how many de-lish bargains I have found there. I have no problem with my children being DI kids, why buy a $20 tee from Naartjie when my 3 year old might ruin or grow out of in a few months, when I can buy the same brand at the DI for $1.00? Perhaps you think me cheap? Ladies, I prefer thrifty! Let me also state that I have proudly decorated my house on a dime budget from the DI. I have never been a fan of "themes" for rooms, I prefer matching colors and oddities to shower my shelves and walls. Which is why the DI is perfect for me. I have literally seen a gorgeous milk glass pitcher at the DI for a mere $4.00, only to see it a few months later at this wonderful little antique store on State Street in Salt Lake for $55.00. I implore you, ladies, what is cheap and what is thrifty? So I share my latest, though no my greatest, DI find. These stunning china bowls. I simply adore them. I found a set of 8 just sitting on the shelf waiting for me, how could I refuse when they look the way they do? Pouring my favorite roasted tomato and basil soup into these bowls simply makes my mouth water. If you could see the crisp lettuce and ripe tomatoes as they lay in the bowl so patiently while I sprinkle my favorite Italian dressing on top, you would ache with longing to taste it. And put a slice of my Mom's famous peach cobbler in the bowl, and watch the vanilla bean ice cream melt into a puddle around the bottom, you can just forget it! Oh, how I adore these bowls! Thank you stranger of the night...or perhaps stranger who cleaned out there house and couldn't sell these bowls at their garage sale so they hauled them off the to DI drop off in Sandy Utah...I stand and thank you for making my American Dream come true.

6 observations:

Elise Mckenna Peterson: said...

....sometimes, you frighten me....but those bowls do not! Bravo!

Melissa Mae Johnson said...

Marvelous, marvelous! I love the picture, too! I desperately need a trip to the D.I.

Alicia Leppert said...

Is that seriously a picture you took of your bowls? That is insane. The quality of the picture + the beautiful kitchen scene looks like a picture from a Martha Stewart catalog. I had no idea you were so...chic!
I am so not ashamed of buying stuff at thrift stores, but I never seem to find these amazing finds that everyone else does! Maybe it's the difference of thrift stores in P-Town as opposed to D.I.

Unknown said...

you found these at MY sandy D.I.? i never go down the kitchen aisle - now i will. your picture is magazine perfect. and i too love a bargain. though i find that i often spend money i wouldn't have other wise spent if i try to bargain shop too often. :) maybe that's why my house looks so undecorated. :)

chellekay said...

you are so cute! I wish I had a DI by my house :(

cazmom said...

*I love your photography - really pretty!! I absolutely love bargains. Sometimes I need to be stopped and reminded: quality before bargain. If I find a great pair of shoes made out of plastic or faux leather, my husband will say "why don't you just spend a little more and get good quality?" can't argue with that!