Tuesday, January 15, 2008

[ suc·cu·lent ]


Yesterday was Curtis' 28th Birthday, but I am not able to load a picture of him, so look for a post tomorrow. I may steal Alicia's fab idea and write some little known tidbits about him, I really like that. Also, I will tell of our day together as a family, look forward to some Transformers, purple fingers, sore arms, cleaning oddities, and perhaps a little bit of a dirty job.

But for tonight I have another taste bud tantalizer for you. I prepared Sweet&Sour Chicken with Sticky Rice for my family. I think what I love most about this recipe is how moist and tender the chicken stays. I have yet to find a restaurant that serves this dish with meat that is like that. They are good, but still a lot of room for improvement. So I present my version of S&S Chicken with Sticky Rice. Very filling, good for families, and of course, you know exactly what is going into it and how it is being prepared, does your lack of knowledge in this area worry you when you are at a restaurant, or is it just me?

First, may I recommend making the rice first. I love brown rice, but for some reason can't have it with S&S Chicken. I also like the 20 minute rice, tastes better to me. Prepare you rice so it will be sticky when it is done cooking. This can sit on the stove covered while you are making the rest of the meal so it stays nice and hot. An obviously, make the appropriate amount of servings that best fits your needs.

You will need the following items for your S&S Chicken:

:: 8 boneless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
:: 1 egg
:: 1 1/2 cups cold water
:: 1 cup flour, plus additional flour for coating chicken
:: 1/2 cup cornstarch
:: 1 tsp baking powder
:: 1/2 tsp salt
:: 1/4 tsp pepper
:: 1 tsp onion powder
:: 2-3 cups oil for frying
:: 1 cup sugar
:: 2 tbs cornstarch
:: 1/2 cup cider vinegar
:: 1/2 cup ketchup
:: 1- 8oz can crushed pineapple, undrained
:: 1 cup pineapple juice
*Variation: 1- 6 oz can mandarin oranges, undrained
1 cup orange juice

MAKE tempura batter by beating the egg and water in medium bowl. Beat in 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup cornstarch, baking powder, salt, pepper, and onion powder.

HEAT oil in a large saucepan (you can also use shortening, melted) over medium heat. While oil is heating prepare additional flour in shallow bowl. Once oil is heated, dip chicken strips into flour and then the tempera batter. Place in hot oil and fry 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. If oil does not cover chicken completely remember to turn them half-way through cooking. When strips are done, remove from oil with long tongs and place on paper towels to drain.

MAKE sweet and sour sauce by mixing sugar and 2 tbs cornstarch ina small saucepan, stir in remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat and stir until thickened. Serve sauce as dip or poor over hot rice and chicken.

This is a no fail recipe! I promise you will love it, you will be amazed at how moist that chicken comes out and how good that sauce is. These are also good without the sticky rice for appetizers at a party.

::{ ENJOY }:: ::{ ENJOY }:: ::{ ENJOY }:: ::{ ENJOY }:: ::{ ENJOY }::

5 observations:

Unknown said...

mmmmm good. i have a sweet and sour chicken recipe. funny how it is nothing like yours. we should swap. thanks for yours. sounds so good.

cazmom said...

We love S&S chicken. I'll have to try this recipe. I printed it out. Is that a picture of your table? If it is, I'm going to roll my eyes and say "omgosh". beautiful.

aubrey said...

That's not my table! HEE HEE! I wish I could do photos like that! So unroll your eyes and think less of me :) LOL

GOO GOO said...

who cares about the chicken thing...take a really close look at my grandaughter!!!! only one other little person can equal the "kind" of joy that she gives to me....and her name is Mae....

GOO GOO said...

....so there!!!!